Minor Assignment 1: Design > Strategy Presentation (200 points)
You are required to prepare a 7 minute presentation of all of your work from Section 1 of this class. Your presentation will have a minimum of 8 slides created using Prezi online software.
Your final grade will be out of 200. You will be awarded up to 100 points on the quality of your slides, and up to 100 points on the quality, professionalism & effectiveness of your presentation delivery.
Your presentation should contain all of these elements (you can add more - these are the minimum requirements):
- 1 title slide: Your name and project title
- 1 return brief slide
- 1 mood board slide
- 1 audience analysis slide
- 1 audience vs product analysis slide
- 1 competition analysis slide
- 1 strategy summary slide
- 1 ending thank you/questions slide
Before you present, upload a link to your Prezi slides by:
- Clicking on the assignment heading above.
- Hit the 'write submission' button (see below).
- Paste in the public url of your Minor Assignment 1 Prezi Presentation.
- Hit the 'submit' button.
Minor Assignment 2: Website Header (200 points)
You are required to prepare a website header image.
Dimensions: 1000px x 180 px
Filetype: web optimized PNG
Software: Adobe Illustrator, Indesign or Photoshop (whichever one suits your needs best, or you want to learn the most)
Your final grade will be out of 200. You will be awarded up to 100 points on the professionalism of the website header (does it look like an image already in use by a professional? does it inspire confidence and trust?), and up to 100 points on the technical correctness of the website header (is it the correct size? is it crisp? does it fulfill all of the assignment requirements? is it a png file saved for web and devices? is all of the type clearly readable?).
Your website header should contain all of these ESSENTIAL elements:
- a plain color background
- your full name (middle name not required), typeset in a color that is clearly legible on the background
- one opacity, transparency or gradient fill
Your website header can contain one of these OPTIONAL elements:
- a pixel based image that takes up no more than 50% of your website header's total space
- a vector based icon/logo/symbol that takes up no more than 10% of your website header's total space
Upload your website header by:
- Clicking on the 'Minor Assignment 2' heading above.
- Hit the 'upload submission' button.
- Browse for your website header png file on your computer.
- Hit the 'submit' button.
Minor Assignment 3: Head Shot (200 points)
Please upload an edited version of your head shot from the photo shoot in class on 10 April. If you did not get your photo taken during class, please arrange for someone to take your photo before Thursday 17 April.
If you prefer to use a head shot you have had professionally taken previously, please upload both the class photo, as well as your other head shot.
Before uploading, please do the following to your head shot:
- color correct
- make any adjustments you see as necessary (removing blemishes, redness etc)
- save as a PSD or TIFF file.
- save a copy 'for web and devices' as a PNG-24 file.
Upload the PNG file to this assignment.
Minor Assignment 4: Blog post (200 points)
Upload a link to your portfolio/blog entry here.
Write 1-2 sentences explaining why you chose the amount of text and photos you did, based on who your ideal viewers are.
- Think about who your ideal employer is.
- Imagine the person working there who will be receiving applications from students looking for internships and employment.
- What is their job title?
- How much time do they have per application? (Hint: it will be a number less than 15 minutes).
- What are they looking for in applicants, in terms of design and creativity?
- How much do they enjoy reading?
- How much do they enjoy looking at pictures of student work?
- Once you have a mental picture of this person, write a blog post presenting your Major Assignment to them.
- Include the amount of text, images and project detail that you think will be most effective for capturing that person's attention.
- The site MUST include your profile photo from the photo shoot in class.
- The site can be either a portfolio site or a blog.
- The post can be on either an existing website, or a new website you create just for this assignment.
- The post MUST include 1. a minimum of two photos of your cover. 2. a descriptive caption and or heading.
- The post CAN include 1. more photos and/or 2. more text - this text can be a process narrative, the return brief, a target market description or a mix of these things.
Major Assignment (800 points)
Upload a PDF of your cover to this assignment area by Tuesday 6 May.