Grading / Assessment
|Success Quiz||Aug 31, 2015||100|
|Color Quiz||Sep 7, 2015||100|
|You Do You Challenge||Sep 14, 2015||400|
|Pixels Quiz||Sep 21, 2015||100|
|Vectors & Type Quiz||Sep 28, 2015||100|
|Monogram Challenge||Oct 5, 2015||400|
|Consistency Quiz||Oct 12, 2015||100|
|Business Card Challenge||Oct 19, 2015||400|
|Clipping & Photo Quiz||Nov 2, 2015||100|
|Type as Image Challenge||Nov 9, 2015||400|
|Code Quiz||Nov 16, 2015||100|
|Instruction Challenge||Nov 23, 2015||400|
|Engagement||Dec 7, 2015||400|
|Final Exam||Dec 14, 2015||900|
Grading in this class is by XP (experience points). You earn XP by completing tasks: the better you complete the task, the more XP you will get. Letter grades will only be given at the end of the semester.
- At the start of the class you will have zero XP points
(equivalent to 0% / F / 0.0 GPA).
- 4,000 XP is the maximum attainable grade
(equivalent to 100% / A / 4.0 GPA).
The following chart aligns XP with letter grades and with percentage of total score.
Late work will be graded if a student makes an agreement with the Professor regarding late submission. Late submissions without an agreement with the Professor will not be graded. Extraordinary grading arrangements can be made in the case of a significant personal life crises - if needed, please talk to the professor individually to negotiate this.
You can gain XP every time you complete a challenge, quiz, or engagement activity. How much XP you gain depends on the quality of your work.
Please note: completing assignments does not guarantee gaining XP. See below for more detail.
You will receive XP for completing challenges when:
- All stages of the Challenge (Submission, Response and Feedback) are submitted via Webcampus before their due date.
- All requirements of the Challenge are met.
- You have a extension from me or your lab instructor, confirmed in writing.
You will receive XP for engagement when you:
- Live tweet lectures, movies, and readings (during specified time).
- Create and tweet image summaries of labs (before end of lab).
Thick tweets including images will gain more XP than thin tweets without images. Re-tweets will not gain XP. What are thick and thin tweets?
You will receive XP for Quizzes when:
- You complete them before the due date.
- You have an extension, confirmed in writing, from me or your lab instructor.
Please note: If you submit work late without arranging an extension beforehand, it will not be graded.
Extra Credit FAQ
You will gain:
- 5XP when you ask a question that receives stars from other students.
- 10XP when you answer another student’s question on the Extra Credit FAQ Discussion Board correctly.
You will lose XP every time you do any of the following.
Please note: it is easy to reduce your grade by one whole letter by ignoring the following requirements.
25XP will be deducted from your total grade each time you:
- Incorrectly label a Challenge.
- Submit any Mission or Challenge late by arrangement.
10XP will be deducted from your total grade each time you use any of the following fonts in your assignments, social media posts, or correspondence:
- Bank Gothic (ugly & overused for military/sci fi/tech)
- Comic Sans (ugly & unprofessional)
- Papyrus (ugly & overused for eccentric/ethnic/historical)
10XP will be deducted from your total grade each time you use text speak (for example ‘u’ instead of ‘you’; ‘luv’ instead of ‘love’ etc), incorrect spelling, or incorrect grammar in assignments, social media posts, or correspondence.